Blog Post #8 - Five Opening Sequences - 11/18/2021

For my eighth blog post, I'll be covering a few opening sequences used for films that I personally really enjoyed, just overall if they let me know what I'll be seeing on the film, if the song used is catchy and just overall if the visuals are extremely appealing to me as a viewer.
To start off, I'll be covering the original Halloween that came out in 1978. The Opening titles is definitely recognized as one of the most iconic opening themes to movies, especially in the horror genre. With the iconic theme playing on repeat as well as the screen zooming in on the pumpkin that resembles a man holding a knife referencing the slasher of the movie, Michael Myers. How the opening was done is referenced in the future opening sequences of the later films of the franchise, such as the sequel being done in a similar way to this one but with a skull being revealed in the pumpkin, there's also Halloween 3 which created a pumpkin digitally, overall emphasizing the Digital theme in the movie. 

Secondly, I covered Spider Man 3, the third & final film of the original Spider Man 3. I enjoyed the opening title in this one because it uses the same opening score used in the previous two movies while it also gave a recap of the first two by managing to insert in scenes from the last two within the webbing of the intro. I also really liked how it teases that the main villains of the movie, Venom & Sandman, with showing the symbiote substance of venom & also showing the sand while playing the villains respective themes, how it did with the villains of the previous two villains. It's also an opening that follows the style of the last two and doesn't change anything up, I like that.
Thirdly, I'm covering Casino Royale which is a James Bond movie. What I liked about the opening sequence was that it does something different from all of the previous films in the franchise, instead of Bond slowly walking and rapidly turning around to fire at the camera, he's picking up his gun instead and someone picks up their gun as he quickly turns around and shoots at him, with angle coming from his gun. The Opening Score was then played with various forms of symbolism related to a Casino, signifying the main setting of the movie along with the score which was really catchy. 
Fourthly, I'm covering Monsters Inc which is a Pixar Movie. This is probably one of my favorite Disney Movie openings of all time, the score used here is super catchy and to this day, people are still talking about it a lot. It's a monster traveling through multiple doors which as a whole hinted towards the main theme of the movie, a company of monsters that would essentially scare children coming through various doors. I also really loved how colorful it was.
Finally, I'll be covering Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I really loved this opening sequence since it doesn't use a score of the film but instead Mr. Blue Sky which is extremely catchy and all you have is Baby Groot dancing during the middle of the battle, just living his best life, ignoring everything else that's going on in the background with all of his other teammates fighting the monster with him just dancing as the song was playing. 

So these were five opening sequences that I really liked, all in all, opening sequences in films matter a lot since they overall set the tone of how the film is gonna be and also lets you know what the overall film is gonna be about, such as setting, characters, actors in the film, the score, etc. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #7 - Thoughts on Shang-Chi - 11/16/2022

Blog Post #6 - Sound Project! - 10/26/2021

Blog Post #30 - Beginning to Edit - 3/29/2022