Blog Post #13 - Movie Opener Analyzing 1/26/2022

     So for the beginning of our own film opening project, we decided to look at other film opening projects from previous Media Studies classes to try and get some sort of inspiration from these and to also get a general overall idea of what our film opener needs to look like through observing the various film editing techniques that were used, so here was some of my observations.



Rise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9AKdUT8nyg

So the first film opening was a movie named Rise, whose genre is a Sports movie. I actually really liked this opening due to its fast pace along with a lot of the quick, rapid, camera movements. Along with the positioning of the camera used as well as the various transitions used. One example would be the placement of a camera on moving soccer ball. I also really liked the various cuts that were used along with the musical soundtrack used here that matched up with the various movements of the video. I also really liked how the music got louder and louder as both characters got closer and closer, likely meaning these will play a large role in the story.

Dear Lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bKQDg6fiI

I liked this opening because of the colors used that were low saturation along with the slow and calming music used along with the heavy focus on the expressions of the various characters. I also really liked the narration that makes the plot much more easier to understand. I Also really liked the detailed camera work like how deeply it focused on the nature as well as the lake and the ripples it makes. Also really think the flashbacks helped to explain the plot even more. It was overall pretty good.

Dare to Thrill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpjHCwRO6Q

This was yet another opening I really liked! I enjoyed how well they did the plot along with the end, having to do with what they opened at the very end, but never actually revealing what it was that they found, this leaves the reader with wanting to see more of what could happen in the near future. I also really liked the exposition, as it gives the reader a clear memo of what exactly is going on as well as how the various actors are introduced into the movie. Along with how the actors are introduced as well as the music used.

The Blue Boar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvMH-1XdR9c

As previously stated, I really liked how the exposition is introduced here. I also really liked the acting used, along with how the actors express themselves through their faces and their voices. I also really liked the foreshadowing used through the characters speaking to each other. Also I dinged the costumes used here since a lot of the other openings don't have unique costumes. I also liked the camera work to express the detailed nature as well as the expressions of the teachers.

White Coat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvAsmo32uo0&t=2s

I liked a lot of the low key lighting along with the multiple camera cuts that were used to essentially heighten the suspense of being in the lab. I also really liked the various camera shots to show the actor mixing in various chemicals to have the viewer wonder as to what he's trying to do. I also really liked the exposition used through the little objects as well as the music used to add in more to the suspension already being built in.

Stalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIZJKdc-Sw

I liked this opening since it was the most realistic. It had little special effects, little sound effects, as well as the use of natural lighting, so overall its the most realistic which I liked. I also really liked the various camera shots to emphasize that the main character is indeed being followed by someone. I also liked the ending as the camera got closer and closer and much to the main characters horror, she would scream as it got right in front of her car.

Nostalgia

This was an extremely creative film opening. I liked how it mainly focused on Camera Movements as well as Images for the plot instead of the other effects used. I also really did like the overall story told her, with the old woman reminding herself of her past at a nostalgic location as the final shot was a movement going from her as an old woman, to her when she was just a little girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #7 - Thoughts on Shang-Chi - 11/16/2022

Blog Post #6 - Sound Project! - 10/26/2021

Blog Post #30 - Beginning to Edit - 3/29/2022